Thomas J. Kent, Jr. is the founder of Kent Franchise Law Group. He focuses his practice on franchise law, particularly the representation of emerging growth and middle market franchisors, as well as mergers and acquisitions, and other corporate and financing transactions. He regularly counsels both U.S. and international franchisors on a wide variety of matters, including the development and implementation of growth, monetization and exit strategies for franchisors, compliance with federal and state regulations, commercial real estate matters, employment law issues, and the negotiation, documentation, and enforcement of franchise agreements. Tom assists prospective franchisors position their businesses for growth through franchising or development of distribution networks. He also structures, negotiates and documents master franchise and area representation agreements.
- Represented a private equity company in a $150,000,000 acquisition of two franchise brands consisting of approximately 700 franchise locations
- Represented a distributor in the sale of 30 retail locations to a private equity company for approximately $20,000,000 (transaction terminated)
- Successfully defended a franchisor in a trademark infringement claim brought by a competing franchise system
- Franchised a restaurant concept with approximately 20 locations in order to expand the brand nationally
- Represented a private equity company in the sale of two national franchise brands consisting of approximately 750 QSR locations
- Represented a national beverage distributor in licensing of various trademarks and products
- Represented a medical device manufacturer and distributor in a joint venture with an international manufacturer to increase manufacturing capacity and enter new markets
- Converted a license-based system to a franchise system resulting in improved profitability and operations
- Represented an area developer in the negotiation of a 150 unit development agreement
- Represented a private equity company in the acquisition of a mature national franchise brand
- Represented a U.S. franchise brand of approximately 700 units in its expansion into the United Kingdom
- Represented a U.S. franchise brand of approximately 100 units in its expansion into Mexico
Prior to founding the Kent Franchise Law Group, Tom was Co-Chair of Fox Rothschild’s Franchising, Licensing and Distribution Practice. Earlier in his career, he served as in-house counsel with Cottman Transmission Systems LLC, where he became Director of Center Development before entering private practice.
Licensed to practice in Pennsylvania, Tom earned his undergraduate degree at Villanova University and his law degree at Widener University School of Law.
Tom is a board member of the Pennsylvania Restaurant Association, Brandywine Chapter, an advisory board member of Archbishop John Carroll High School and a former board member of Business Leaders Organized for Catholic Schools (BLOCS).
Amanda Dempsey concentrates her practice primarily on franchise and distribution matters with a focus on state and federal regulatory compliance and mergers and acquisitions. She assists both franchisors and franchisees with all aspects of owning and operating franchise businesses, including the preparation and enforcement of franchise agreements, federal and state regulatory compliance, employment law issues, franchisor/franchisee litigation and trademark law.
Amanda served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable Robert P. Becker, Jr., Justice of the Superior Court of New Jersey, in both Gloucester and Cumberland counties. She also worked in the legal department of Equus Capital Partners, Ltd., previously known as BPG Properties, Ltd., a private equity firm located in Philadelphia.
Amanda received her J.D. from Villanova University School of Law and her undergraduate degree from Georgetown University. She is licensed to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.